Tuesday, April 5, 2011

1st Pediatrician's Appointment!

So today we braved the pediatrician's office! I was a little nervous since you all know we aren't vaccinating, and Nick wasn't able to go with me to help me be "big and tough" :)  Also, because of how this month has gone, I left to go to GA pretty much right after we were discharged from the hospital, so we didn't make Adrian's 3 day pediatrician's appt.  When I called the nurse to let her know, the news that I was in GA was not at all received well.  So, needless to say, I was a little nervous.

Adrian did great in the waiting room.  We waited for an hour.  Thankfully, we got to go to the "newborn room" as opposed to the general waiting area.  There were 4 other babies with their parents waiting there, and we enjoyed small talk while we waited.

When we were called back, the nurse informed me that Adrian had received the Hepatitis B vaccine in the hospital.  Imagine my shock! We signed multiple forms denying the vaccine, expressed our desires to deny it in our birth plan (which the hospital had several copies of), and told everyone we came in contact with that we did not want Adrian to receive that vaccine!! After I left the doctor's office, I called Nick in a fit of anger and frustration, and he told me over and over that he is convinced that the pediatrician made a mistake.  He was able to follow Adrian to the nursery right after he was born and was able to oversee everything that happened to him.  To make sure, we're going to ask for Adrian's paperwork from the hospital to verify what exactly happened and are praying that he did not get the vaccine as the pediatrician seems to think!

As for good news, Adrian weighed 9lbs 3oz, a relief for me because he has been receiving breastmilk exclusively, despite nursing not going as planned (an understatement).  I am grateful that he is growing and healthy despite it all! Everything else looks great, although the pediatrician found a heart murmur which she wants to have checked in the next few days.  Thankfully, she doesn't think it's an issue - just wants to verify just in case.  I'm blessed to have this little baby! I can't believe he's 18 days old already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! And your kindness.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...